We have finally launched our Brazilian Cheese Bread Mix, so that you too can enjoy freshly made pão de queijo at home. We have sourced the hard to find ingredients for you, specifically the Brazilian sour manioc starch and sweet manioc starch (also tapioca starch) so that we would not compromise on the authentic recipe that was handed down to me by my aunts.
If you can find the Mexican Cotija cheese you will get the closest to the original recipe. But don’t worry if you don’t because you can create your own version of pão de queijo with your favorite cheese. And you can create many variations too. Let your imagination run wild!
You will need:
- 1 bag of Brazilian Cheese Bread Mix Original
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup of grated hard cheese (for best results use 1 cup of your favorite hard cheese like cheddar, romano or monterey jack, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix the water, the oil and the egg in a mixing bowl till combined
- Add the Cheese Bread Mix and knead until well combined.
- Use your hands or a mixer with a hook attachment.
- With a cookie scooper scoop up dough balls and roll them in your hands.
- Coat hands with oil or water so that dough does not stick.
- Place dough balls 1-2″ apart (depending on the size you chose) on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes till lightly brown and firm to the touch.
- This recipe will yield about 40 o.5oz or 20 1oz rolls.
For variations try adding any of these:
- chopped black olives
- bacon and black pepper
- dried onion and rosemary
Send us your ideas and we will publish them on our Facebook page.